Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

Sourdough Bread: Take 2!


Ok--so over the course of the past 2 months or so I have been keeping a sourdough starter. I was spurred onto the idea after looking over another Innkeeper's website and seeing that she had kept one for 10 years! I had no idea such a thing existed (Yes, I do occasionally feel as if I've been living under a rock) and was shocked to find that this "starter" thing can be used for french toast, pancakes, and other breads! I have not tried the former yet, as I am still trying to get my starter just right. For my first attempt at homemade sourdough bread, a few weeks after I began the starter, I used this recipe:

2 Cups of sponge (proofed starter)
3 Cups of unbleached flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil or softened margarine
4 teaspoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of salt

Baked at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes after allowing 3 hours to rise.

My dough didn't rise! Sourdough bread made with a starter is not supposed to need yeast...so I decided I needed to feed the starter more often than once per week. Even though it didn't rise, I baked it anyway. It yielded two huge loaves which were very good but a pretty sweet for my taste. More like Amish friendship bread, perhaps? (I don't know...have to try that too!)

Currently baking is this simple recipe:

3 cups (375g) of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (60g) of prepared starter
Up to 1-1/2 cups (325ml) of water (see text)
1 teaspoon (5ml) of salt
OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon (15ml) of butter.

It needs to bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

The dough did rise this time! I was very excited. And it looks to be turning out great! I will let you know for sure later...

Starters are a great, easy way to start making your own bread. They ay take a little getting used to, but when made at home bread loaves will be cheaper and healthier. And you can make them however you want! So start experimenting today...it's fun and a great addition to breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Recipes courtesy of http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm
and
http://www.joejaworski.com/bread/bread2.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment