Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Great Recipe Substitutions!


Every once in awhile I start making a recipe without checking to make sure I have all the ingredients. Or, I do try to stop at the grocery store in Fountain, MN but realize it closes at 5:30. (Yes, 5:30p.m. Who does that?? No wonder their vegetables are always a bit shriveled...) Anyway, I have found a lot of ingredient substitutions through the internet, and I just wanted to share a few with you!

1. Buttermilk--How many people keep this in their fridge? To make a substitute cup of buttermilk, pour just under one cup of milk and then add a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Stir the mixture and let it stand for 5 minutes, then it's ready to use!

2. Brown sugar--I discovered this one last night as I started making chocolate chunk cookies. I stopped at the store, but it was already 5:45 (imagine that...people cook around dinner-time). SO... it turns out that you can use regular sugar combined with 1-2 tablespoons of molasses. The cookies turned out great! I actually am starting to think that perhaps the substitution was part of my great-grandmother's secret cookie recipe...

3. Chocolate chips (puppy chow only)-- This one courtesy of my sister. If you don't have more chocolate, simply use extra peanut butter in its place! Yum...

4. Half-and-half-- There are a number of different substitutions that will work for this ingredient. For one cup of half-and-half combine: 7/8 cup whole milk plus 1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine, 3 tablespoons oil plus milk to equal one cup, or use 1 cup evaporated milk.

5. Sour cream-- Now this one I just found...it sounds a bit gross but I'm sure it works fine! 3 tablespoons butter plus 7/8 cup sour milk, OR 7/8 cup buttermilk plus 3 tablespoons butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment