Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Favorite hot chocolates of winter...


So hot chocolate is quite possibly my favorite drink (year-round...not just when it's cold!) and I think now would be a fitting time to pay tribute to it's greatness. With freezing temps all over the United States, folks will be looking for hot drinks and hot meals. If you like the recipes (they're very simple) make a reservation at Coffee Street Inn and I will make you a complimentary cup!

Hot Chocolate Zinger:
This was a great drink at my first job-- the Kernel Restaurant in Owatonna-- during the winter months when business was slower than usual and I very cold vehicle to look forward to at the end of my shift. Sugar, coffee, and more sugar. :)
Standard mix of your favorite hot chocolate powder and water, but only fill cup 2/3 full
Add one liquid pouch of french vanilla creamer
Fill the rest of the cup with black coffee
Add caramel to taste

Matt's Hot Chocolate
This wonderful mix was brought to my attention just last year by my husband, Matt. It adds a lot more flavor with just two extra ingredients! I can't believe I never experimented with this before...
Standard mix of your favorite hot chocolate powder and water, leaving just a little space at the top of the cup
Add one tablespoon vanilla (or less, if you prefer)
Sprinkle the top with cinnamon

Classic Winter Hot Chocolate
This is a standard hot chocolate, and it typically made around and after Christmas.
Break a regular red and white candy cane into pieces and place in the bottom of your cup.
For best results, place desired amount of chocolate powder on top of candy cane and boil water in a separate container. I have found that this hot chocolate tastes the best when left sitting for 5 minutes or so so the candy cane can melt sufficiently and the cup is not burning hot when you grab it out of the microwave. Vanilla may also be added to this recipe, though you may find it to just be too much of a good thing!

Have other hot chocolate faves? Comment on this post or on our Facebook wall!
http://www.facebook.com/coffeestreetinn

No comments:

Post a Comment